Monday, April 20, 2009

A Great-Grand Dream

Last week, I dreamt about my great-grandmother, whose name was Roma. Isn't that a great name? She passed away when I was barely 4, so I don't have a lot of concrete memories of her. But the dream was incredibly detailed. Her blue eyes were striking, and very kind. I always had the impression that she was very gentle. And while most of my memories involve her being in a nursing home, I do remember being in her house as a small child.

She used to keep old-fashioned butter mints around and I loved them! I remember trying to sneak into the kitchen to get them. She kept them on a high shelf, and I pulled drawers out from the floor to the counter to climb up and get them. Amazingly, I didn't hurt myself. My clumsiness is well known.

I have no idea why I dreamt about her, but I've had several people tell me she is trying to send a message or there is something in my subconscious I'm trying to remember about her. Whatever the reason, the dream gave me such a feeling of happiness. I didn't realize how much I missed her. My nieces and nephews are so lucky that they have a great-grandmother in their lives. One who is active and very present for them. Most people aren't that lucky.

Roma was the mother of the gramma I live with now. I can remember drinking out of pink glasses like the photo below since I was very small. It turns out these glasses belonged to Great-Gramma Roma. It's amazing to me that Gramma lets us drink out of them. What a treasure they are.

I'll have to see if I can find some photos of her to post.