Sunday, March 22, 2009

Why Yes, I Am A Sexy Scientist, Thank You Very Much


I was recently compared to the lead character on the TV show, Bones. At first, I wasn't sure what to think about that, because if you've seen the show, she's kind of quirky. Not that quirky is a bad thing! But after further reflection, I've decided to take it as a compliment. First of all, she's incredibly smart. She's also strikingly beautiful. And sexy in a scientific way. Not that I, for an instant, consider myself either of those things. But I don't mind at all being compared to someone like her, even if she's a fictional character. In fact, it really made my day.

And we all have quirks. Little things we do or say. Rituals that get us through the day. For instance, when I think of the word laundry in my head, I think of it in a British accent. I have no idea why. Somebody, at some point, must have said it to me that way and it lodged in my mind. Dave has a friend from Australia and I love the way he says my husband's name. When I write Dave's full name on something, I think of the way Sean pronounces it. That's a little quirky.

I was writing Dave's name on a form this week, and when the woman who took it glanced down, she asked me if I knew my husband had two first names.

Ummm, yes? Funny enough, we had to disclose our last names to each other when we applied for the marriage license. I'm thinking we need to give our kids last names as firsts to counteract.

Ooops, left turn there.

I'm sure there are more quirks that I have. I'm not going to put too much thought into it, though. I'm just going to assume the person meant the comparison positively, and I'll embrace it.

What kind of quirks do you have?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have too many to list out here! HA HA

Kim and Dave said...

You're hilarious, Danica!