Sunday, March 29, 2009

Princess Palmer


Let me tell you about my niece, Palmer. She is such a hoot! She'll be three on June 2nd, but she already acts like a little adult. She has the most gorgeous hair...a brilliant, beautiful red that a lot of women would kill for.


Palmer recently discovered Barbie when her daddy brought a DVD home for her. And, like so many others before her, Palmer suddenly wished for the long, blonde hair that is Barbie's trademark. As my sister-in-law said, that damn Barbie ruins everything. I chuckled when I heard her say that, but I am sad that Palmer is already deciding at such a young age that something about her should be changed. And even though she also will probably forget she said that just as fast, it still makes me nervous. I remember longing for the same hair long ago, and even today, still have wistful moments when I wish for something other than what I have. But, this post is about Palmer.


Palmer, my incredibly independent niece. My sweet, persnickety, Dora-loving, hilariously-funny, soprano-voiced niece. The one who sings "Crinkle, Crinkle Little Star." Petite, serious, porcelain-faced, chocolate-milk loving little girl. Grumpy at times, always particular. She has had a personality as large as life from day one. She makes me laugh all the time. She is funny, most of the time intentionally, already demonstrating a phenomenal sense of humor. Her imagination is huge, and, I hope, still relatively untapped. I can only imagine what live has in store for her. Or, more accurately, what Palmer has in store for life!

2 comments:

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

She is more than adorable.

And I too don't like Barbie. We tried to hide our daughter from them too, but alas, she found out about them, loved them, and now has moved on. Although I know they probably affected her, just like tv and magazines...

D said...

I agree with you and can't imagine trying to raise little girls in today's society. Don't even get me started. She's a beautiful child though - enjoy every second you can get with her because they go by too fast! I soak up each and every hug from my 6-year-old nephew because someday he won't want to have anything to do with me. :)